Making the claim

  • Write to your bank / card provider and inform them that you are making a claim under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.
  • Give them clear details of the transaction – the name of the business you paid, the date you paid and the amount you paid.
  • Advise them of the reasons / grounds for your claim – i.e., promised service not provided, misrepresentation or the bankruptcy of the business you paid. Provide them with details that support your claim.
  • Request that they acknowledge you claim within 14 days and at that time, give an indication as to the time they will take to assess it.
  • Remember that Section 75 claims are a part of the laws that protect consumers and so your bank is obliged to respond.
  • A Section 75 claim can be made for that payment and any other balance payments (even if these weren’t paid using the credit card). You need only make one claim and include all payments made under the same contract and to the same beneficiaries.
  • If you are not satisfied with the response you receive or receive no response, you can submit a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) – see link
  • For further information see the Which? guide
  • If your complaint is rejected, and you are still not satisfied with the reasons given, you can consider making a civil / court claim.
  • If you require further assistance, please contact us