Search Knowledge Base by Keyword

You are here:

Timeshare products are subject to strict laws in many countries. If you feel you have been misled, you should first contact your timeshare company in writing and tell them why you believe this to be the case.

In general terms, when you purchased your timeshare, you should have been provided with a cooling off withdrawal period and should not have paid any monies during that period.

The timeshare seller should have followed compliance procedures and ensured that you understood your rights and the nature of the product and asked you to confirm by signing documents that this has been carried out.

Advice on current laws within the EU can be found on this link – If you believe that the seller did not comply with these laws, we advise you to first check your documentation and if you still feel the sale was not legally compliant, explain this to your timeshare company and ask for an urgent response.

Note also that the laws do include a range of timeshare and related products, including timeshare resale and what are referred to as long-term holiday products.

Prior to the current laws, other laws did apply and these may vary from country to country, even if the countries are now a part of the EU. Other laws may also apply in non-EU countries.

In particular, one element of Spanish law has been noteworthy in recent times. A Spanish Supreme Court ruling dictated that timeshares sold in Spain from 7th January 1999 and up until the current EU laws took effect could not have a term longer then 50 years. Sales made during this period of Spanish timeshares may therefore have the possibility of being declared null & void by a court if they do exceed 50 years. There are some complexities and other elements regarding the ruling, but if you believe it may apply to your timeshare first check your documentation and then if you feel you may have a case seek expert advice.

If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from your timeshare company

If they are a member of the Resort Development Organisation (RDO),you can take your complaint to RDO. You can find details of members and the services provided to consumers related to members on this link –

You can contact Citizens Advice

You can contact a legal expert. If you choose to take this option, we recommend that you

  • Find a business that is regulated, such as a qualified and registered lawyer
  • Ask them to complete a comprehensive questionnaire – we have provided an example, which can be used to help evaluate any business offering timeshare legal, claims and relinquishment services  – click on this link