Making the claim

  • Write to your bank / card provider and inform them that you are making a claim under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.
  • Give them clear details of the transaction – the name of the business you paid, the date you paid and the amount you paid.
  • Advise them of the reasons / grounds for your claim – i.e., promised service not provided, misrepresentation or the bankruptcy of the business you paid. Provide them with details that support your claim.
  • Request that they acknowledge you claim within 14 days and at that time, give an indication as to the time they will take to assess it.
  • Remember that Section 75 claims are a part of the laws that protect consumers and so your bank is obliged to respond.
  • If you are not satisfied with the response you receive or receive no response, you can submit a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) – see link
  • For further information see the Which? guide
  • If your complaint is rejected, and you are still not satisfied with the reasons given, you can consider making a civil / court claim.
  • If you require further assistance, please contact us